Pic Reveals Sun’s Aging Effects

Gunce • Head of research at Glow. Unwilling infertility expert. 2 kids after 6 IVF treatments.

This story came out two years ago - but feel it is important to have reminder with the sun shining so brightly for the first time in months. (I'm in New York). 

This is Bil McElligott.

If you look at McElligott from the right, he looks like any 66-year-old would expect to, but from the left, wrinkles and sagging skin place him far beyond his years. He is a living demonstration of the importance of protecting your skin from the sun.

“It would take me an hour to drive to work and an hour to come home,” McElligott said. “It was a semi route, I’d have six to eight stops. … 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the road.”

For almost 30 years, McElligott drove a truck during prime sun hours throughout the city of Chicago delivering milk to stores and gas stations.

“My left arm was always more tan than my right, because a lot of the time I had the window open (since) we didn’t have A.C.,” McElligott said.

The 66-year-old truck driver suffers from unilateral dermatoheliosis or photo-aging, which was caused by repeated, long-term exposure to UVA rays of the sun.

So yes, sunscreen. It's important. 8-)