Why do we keep TTC a secret?

Gunce • Head of research at Glow. Unwilling infertility expert. 2 kids after 6 IVF treatments.

Today, I want to talk about why we don’t tell people that we are trying to conceive. For many of us, this is our last, best kept secret. The one thing we don’t even share with even our mothers or sisters or best friends – anyone really -other than our partners?

And the question is why?

There is of course the answer – it’s none of their business. And it isn’t. But neither is my terrible commute, or how I feel about the local elections, or what I had for dinner last night – and I frequently post about those and much more personal things on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. People even post about their cancer and the passing away of loved ones. Why not this?

Then there is the fact that it feels like a personal failure every time we get our periods – and why broadcast that and open yourself to prying questions? And that’s true too. But we often and frequently talk to our closest loved ones about our “failures.” We tell our family when we have been fired, or when we have had a fight. So again, why not this?

I don’t have a good answer. Do you? Why don’t most of us tell people that we are TTC?