Drama! I need advice

I've known him since I was 6 and sense the 4th grade we've been on and off "dating" (I use " cause we were like 10😂) but then I switched schools and we weren't as close. We used to be bestfriends and I would usually talk to him about this stuff but it's about him so... Yeah. But here's the thing. After 2 years of being gone he started dating my other bestfriend and well a few months later he tells me he's gay... I'm fine with gay people I really am and that's why I felt so guilty for hating him for breaking my heart. I can't hate him cause he's gay and I don't it's cause he broke my heart. I basically stopped taking to hike for 3 months but now he wants to start taking again. So I told him okay why not. I figured he would actually wanna talk instead of me looking super desperate because I'm the only one who tries. And now he wants to see me and I wanna see him but I also don't cause... I just can't. I don't know if it's cause I still hate him a little or if I just don't wanna be friends cause we're not that close. Some how we always end up back to the same place.