Do I like him or like that he likes me?

So I recently had one of my very good guy friends tell me he sees me more than a friends. Garrett and I met a year ago and after a few weeks of hanging out he made one thing very clear to me: I only see you as a friend. Ever since I took him off the "guys I would date" list given that he felt that way. At the time he told me that, I was hung up on some other guy so his words had no affect on me. A year later (which turned out to be last week) he bluntly tells me: "so I like you more than a friend and I want to take you out on a date". I told him I'd think about it but to give me some time given that he took me by surprise. Given that he told me he only sees me as a friend last year, I never gave it much thought to our relationship heading towards something more, so I've never even considered it. Now that he told me this, I am starting to and while this may sound crazy, I don't know if I like him or not. I decided to tell him that I want our relationship to continue exactly how it is now with the exception that I would keep an open mind. Lately I've been thinking about what he said more and more but I am afraid that I will only like the fact that he likes me and not him per say. I'm giving myself some time and not rushing but I am unable to identify if Iike him or not at current time. Any thoughts?