Best breastfeeding/ pumping advice

Kaylina • Twin girls born 3/3
Hi girls! I know many of you are hoping to breastfeed your twins. Staying in the hospital for 8 days was actually a blessing in disguise because I got a ton of help with breastfeeding, usually 2-3 visits/day from lactation consultants, plus help every feeding from the Nicu nurses.  It took about 4 days for my milk to come in and we had to supplement with formula during that time, mostly because my girls were already little and couldn't afford to lose any more weight.  But by 1 week postpartum they were feeding on breast milk exclusively.  Usually I will feed them both on the breast then we'll top them off with pumped milk from bottles, just to really help them gain weight.  I now have enough excess to start freezing it.  Here is the info that I wish I'd known from the beginning:
​1. Pump after every feeding. It sucks at first, but will really help your supply get going. I rented the hospital grade pump and plan to use it for at least another week or two.
​2. Get extra pump parts so you don't have to wash them at night. I have 5 sets now so I can do the 8pm, 11pm, 2am, 5am, and 8am feedings before I have to wash them.  They're not that expensive and babies r us has medela stuff on sale, buy one get one 40% off.
​3. Buy the ingredients and ask a friend or family member to make lactation cookies and drop them off every few days once you're home from the hospital.  Keep a bag where you plan to pump/feed and eat a few every time you feed.  It'll also help keep you from getting starved while you feed.  You could also bake them and take them to the hospital. Do the same thing with mothers milk tea- make a batch and keep it in the fridge so it's always ready to go.
​4.  Drink tons of water. I've been going through 120 oz a day.  Whenever I don't drink enough I notice my milk production drops.
​5.  When you pump, massage your breasts.  This alone really helped my production. Google "Stanford Manual Expression" for a couple of good videos on how to massage while pumping.
​6.  Buy fenugreek capsules and start taking them after birth. Take 5 with meals 3x per day (610mg).  They'll make you gassy at first but that passes.  And you'll smell like maple syrup.
​7.  Think about your babies when you pump.  Or look at pictures of them. 
​Of course I would clear all this with your lactation consultant- this is just advice that was given to me and has really helped. Good luck mommas!