How did it take you to conceive?

Kendra • Mom. Wife. Nurse. Awesome.
My husband and I have been married for a little over a year, but have been together for the last 6 years. I was working my way through an school and then an intense nursing program, I finally graduated and got a job! Just 3 months later I was injured at work (torn cartilage in my hip from getting kicked), I had to go through multiple rounds of physical therapy, multiple X-rays, an MRI, steroid injections, and finally had surgery. It was never the right time for us to start trying to have a baby, there have been a few times when I thought it might have been a possibility but never resulted in anything. I'm happy that now is the right time! I have a great job, so does my he, we have a great home, and we would love to add to our little family. Our first official month of TTC was just last month but, and I hate to say because so many have tried for much longer than I have, I feel...discouraged, I guess that's what you would call it. I just feel like I am going to be disappointed month after month with that negative result starring back at me. Last month all I did was use OPK's. This month I'm going to try BBT and OPK's...contemplating Preseed because of all the positive comments. We really want a Christmas baby and this would be the cycle to make that happen :)
Anyway... how did you feel when you first started TTC? How long did it take you to conceive?