Want to hop in?

Join our Community
Download Glow

How do I tell my parents? -rape trigger

I was raped over a year ago. I didn't live with my parents at the time but because of certain situations I now do. They live in the same shitty town that my rapist lives in. I know they can tell I'm on edge all the time. How do I tell them what happened..? I just can't figure out how to tell them. 
Gf
Posted at Sep 08, 2015 โ€ข 12 responses

Glow Pages: Recommendations for Women, by Women

Find fertility products, clinics, doctors

B
Posted at Sep 08, 2015

Have you considered seeing a therapist or social worker??

That is a very difficult thing to deal with on your own

Ma
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
So the thing about telling people that you were raped or abuse is that you really don't have to tell them until you're ready. You don't have to tell them at all if you are never ready. The important thing is that you are seeing someone or have someone to talk to about it other than them. If you really feel deep down that you have to tell them, it's OK to take your time and be fully ready to do that before you do it. You don't have to explain to anybody why you're on edge all the time. Just make sure you are attending to your mental health in the meantime. 
When you do tell them, just sit them down and let them know that you have something you want to share with them that's not easy for you to share, but you trust them and really feel that it's important to you for them to know. And then you just tell them exactly what happened.
Te
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
You should just tell her. You have no reason to feel ashamed. I told my mom morning after. He got put in jail. I dont think you should wait so long to tell. These predators need to be put in jail. Turns out he had done it to several other girls and no one ever told on him.
Je
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
Love, the truth will set you free! I know it's hard, so hard. How do you just bring up something like that? Especially when you know their heart is going to be broken, it's really scary. But babe you got to do it for yourself. Only time will heal, it will be hard for a long time. But a good support system is truly the key. My grandmothers husband touched me when I was 12, I am now 22. And my grandmother is still to this day married to the man๐Ÿ˜” It hurts, and makes it harder to move on. I didn't tell my family till I was 15. I would never want anyone to feel like they have to carry a secret like that, it weighs you down love. YOU HAVE TO LOVE YOURSELF AND NOT BE ASHAMED. Your family will be there for you, and with that help will it only be easier to keep your head held high!! 
Your in my prayers 
Xoxo
Au
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
Write your mom a letter and give it to her. You can even put it in the mail box. I know it's not the best way to tell her but make sure you tell her in the letter your not trying to hurt her by telling her this in a letter you just can't utter the words out loud. That you can't look her in the eye. I know what your going through I have been there myself. I told my sister when I was drunk over the phone very late at night. We don't speak about it because she knows I don't want to. I'm the type I handle it better when it's just forgotten and never spoke of again. You need to tell someone so it's not all in your head all the time. It's very dangerous to bottle it up. I did that and I pushed my self to suicide. After two attempts I opened up and I'm so much better now. Physical your healed now but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually you haven't even begun to heal yet. Take care of yourself sweetie. Let your mom help you heal.
๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ‘‘
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
I wish I could tell you how. I have no productive advice, as mine's happened over 10 years ago and I still haven't told. Yeah, nootttt a good thing to hold in- that's for sure. So I guess all I can really give you is: however you have to -just get it out to them if you feel you must so that you won't be bound by such a secret.
๐Ÿ„๐Ÿฆ„
Posted at Sep 08, 2015
I was sexually assaulted and I'm easily triggered so I don't have anything productive to say but I wanted to thank you for tagging your trigger so I knew not to read. I hella appreciate it. Thank you. 
Ab
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
My wife has only told me about her rape from her babysitter when she was younger. She told me when we first started dating, but has never told anyone else.... It breaks my heart and I wish she could talk to her grandparents or something but she won't. Her grandparents stillive right next door to the babysitting woman it just disgusts me :( 
Je
Posted at Sep 10, 2015
Tell them maybe just mom first but tell someone you can't live in fear or always be uncomfortable leaving the house. I've been through a similar situation when I was younger. I didn't stay healing until I had a couple people in my corner. You will be relieved after you let it out. Wishing you the best in your recovery.
Mi
Posted at Sep 08, 2015
I was raped by my boyfriend at 14. It was hard not only did he live in the same town he went to my school and one day he tried to attack my guy friend for hugging me after we had broke up and i got random courage and tried to beat him with the napkin dispenser and decided i needed to tell people because it was safe. I ended up getting a restraining order and forced him to chamge schools and wasnt aloud at any of the stores parks or churches in town regardleas of if i was there but he also couldnt be within 2 blocks of me. So if i was walking down the street and he was on thw other side of the road he would get arrested. Tell them to.protect yourself.

Want to comment?