Needles, blood, and the vasovagal response.

Samantha

First I want to say that I am a medical assistant, and I can draw blood from a patient no problem, I actually enjoy it. But when Im the patient I get what is called a vasovagal response. It started in school when we were learning.

Does anyone else experience this and feel guilty for not wanting to have blood work done? Im so anxious for any blood work I need done that I am going to be asking my husband to come with me. I also feel bad because I know its important but I still am so scared! Blah! I feel a compulsive need to be sure the phlebotomist is "doing it right" so i always look. I think thats my trigger, is seeing my blood being collected in a tube. Blood doesnt scare me, but taking MY blood away from me does. I cant explain it! Thats why i want my husband there, so he can be my eyes. I just needed to vent this fear. >_>

"Episodes of vasovagal response are typically recurrent and usually occur when the predisposed person is exposed to a specific trigger. Prior to losing consciousness, the individual frequently experiences early signs or symptoms such as lightheadedness, nausea, the feeling of being extremely hot or cold (accompanied by sweating), ringing in the ears (tinnitus), an uncomfortable feeling in the heart, fuzzy thoughts, confusion, a slight inability to speak/form words (sometimes combined with mild stuttering), weakness and visual disturbances such as lights seeming too bright, fuzzy or tunnel vision, black cloud-like spots in vision, and a feeling of nervousness can occur as well. The symptoms last for a few seconds before the loss of consciousness (if it is lost), which typically happens when the person is sitting up or standing."