Case of the ex who broke into my home

mz geneva
A couple months ago my ex (daughter father) broke into my house dress in all black ,my hubby woke up because he felt something on his feet and chased him away when the police came my ex walked up wearing something different than the all black. After a while he admitted to breaking in. Now he is in jail on burglary charges and only facing 18months. He cheated and lied back then and once we broke up 6 years ago he married the hoe he was cheating with a few years later so i don't understand why he would do this ,my daughter was there when it happened she's 12 and now since this has happened my daughter can't sleep without her door open. I feel so bad for her and will try my best to make her feel better but im still angry and upset. I told her that she can't and won't be seeing her dad no time soon. When she turn 18 it will be her choice but until then I will do anything to protect me and my baby. I believe if my hubby wasn't there he would have hurt me and I wouldn't be here right now😰 . Am i wrong keeping her from her father???????? Opinions wanted. Thanks 😊