Pain killers doing pregnancy??

Catalina
So here is what's going on, I have a step son and he can be very hard to take care of sometimes, all randomly he stats to scream and twitch, and I'm very good with kids, I always find a way to calm them down, singing to them while holding them, rocking them and robbing their head or their back or even their tummy. But this times he never stoos he screams even louder, this only happen ramdonly, it never occur to me that the bio mom of the child, was accused of doing pain killers and smoking during pregnancy, we find out by her BFF of 8 years, that decided to message us...im worried about my step son he is 11 months and idk what to do about it. If anyone seen this how can I calm him down? When he has this nothing will calm him down... I honestly don't know what to do since the bio mom is the primary care and she is the one that takes the bay to doctors appointment etc. She has a cos case against her but it's been like 4 months I figure if she did them or maybe they haven't tested the baby, but I just want to ask for advice, maybe new ideas that I never though of to help him calm down, I been raising him with my husband since he was 4 months old, when he got half and half custody. Thank you so much for reading this and maybe helping me through this, I want the best for my step son and I'm just worried.