Why the separation of races?

Okay so this time I am posting anonymously because I'm actually a little worried about the kind of response I will get. I hope this post gets decent feedback and not arguing.
When I graduated high school, there was a regular graduation for the people at the specific school and there were special graduations that you attended with everyone in the district. These graduations were "invite" only. The "invite" being your race. There were Asain, Hispanic, and Black graduations. These graduations were professionally catered, scholarships handed out, and done in much nicer facilities than regular graduations. There were no Pacific Islander, Native American, or White graduations. 
I understand that yes, America has a shitty past with minority races and that it feels as if white people will forever pay for it. 
But my question is that if we're in 2016 and everyone is preaching equality, why are we still segregating ourselves? If we want to have pride in our race, which I completely think is okay, why can't we keep it equal? Why is it perfectly okay to raise your countries flag and be proud of where you are from and nobody is allowed to say anything but it is considered racist for a white person to be proud that they're white and it's perfectly okay to stomp on the American flag and burn it and people who stop it are called racists?