Asking for $ from baby shower attendees...?

Caoilainn • 32, married, polyamorous, geeky artist who loves everything from computers and animals, to sewing and camping.

So, I'm due with my first baby in late June. A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine approached me about throwing me a baby shower. I was ecstatic, especially since no one else had asked about it. Then I was told the theme and venue was "Tea Time" at a tea house (I wasn't involved in any of the planning) and, being the tea nut I am, was even MORE excited about it!

Invites went out, RSVPs were secured, and everything seemed set... then there was a post made on the FB event saying that the hostesses were covering 50% of the cost, and asked that everyone give a $10 contribution to help cover all the costs.

... I was mortified. Like, instant sick to my stomach. I had never before heard of such a thing, and the more I thought about it, the more and more it stressed me out - a LOT. I couldn't fathom looking someone like my Grandmother in the face, knowing she had to "pay" to attend.

So, I talked with my husband and decided to tell the hostess (the one I knew about, apparently this was a collaboration between a few of my friends) to take down the post, and message everyone to disregard it because I would cover whatever the remaining amount needed was. Not sure yet how much that will be, but I just couldn't deal with the idea of charging guests.

So, now my excitement and enthusiasm for my shower is drastically reduced because of this, and I'm a huge mix of emotions, most of them negative. Part of me is stressed because of the unexpected (but volunteered for) money we'll need to now pay. Part of me feels like it reflects poorly on me that guests were EVER asked for money. Part of me is upset that my friends would offer to throw a shower if they couldn't handle the financial side of it (like why wasn't it held at someone's house instead of a venue - I didn't need anything fancy). Part of me feels incredibly guilty/sad/ungrateful for the previously mentioned feelings. Part of me just has no idea about any of it anymore...

Thoughts? Am I right? Wrong? Being an ungrateful wretch? :-(