Not Seeing a Positive Result....

Sabra

Hello all! Have you ever had someone react negatively to your pregnancy news? If so, how did you handle it?

Let me start by giving you all a bit of background information.

I am nearly 32, a cancer survivor, and the mother to four beautiful babies. I have been raising them, on my own, since my divorce in 2013. I recently married a wonderful man who has taken on these lovely babes of mine and plans to adopt them, but he had never had a child of his own, and I wasn't sure that I even could have a baby after chemo and radiation therapies. However, we decided to give it the old college try and, surprisingly enough, fell pregnant within the first month.

Make no mistake, we are over the moon, and the kids are all for it, but there are a few things that I am dreading. You see, my older sisters, both in their early fifties, have spoken to me on many occasions in which they have advised me not to have any more children. They both work at a large and profitable company that affords them hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. They frequent their lake houses, european vacation hot spots, and travel all over the country visiting out-of-state family and friends. Needless to say, they are well off. I, on the other hand, am still going to school full time to be a teacher, we are known for making the big bucks, and my husband is also in school for accounting. He will graduate next summer and make upwards of fifty-six thousand dollars a year. That's not a lot, mind you, but we make do. I currently am a live-in caretaker for my mother who is fast approaching eighty ( she adopted me when she was in her late forties ) and we don't have a lot of room, but we make do and are comfortable. I have never needed gobs of anything to make me happy, and my kiddos are all well clothed, fed, cared for, and educated. They are happy, healthy, and are loved beyond measure....but I digress.

I know that if I should reveal to my sisters that I am with child, they will begin with the fretting and worrying, and I am certain that they will bemoan my current state as though it were anything but the joyous and miraculous event it is. Within time, I know, that I won't be able to hide my condition from them, nor do I want to. I want to shout it from the rooftops, to be sure!!!!

Does anyone have any advice for me as to how to tell them in such a way that celebrates the baby and doesn't tarnish the joy?