Gestational diabetes and/or polyhydramnios sufferers?

Emily

Anyone else dealing with GDS or excessive amniotic fluid this pregnancy?

This is my 5th baby and my first time having any complications. I was getting lots of "you sure there's only one baby? Har har" type trading comments and I didn't think much of it because I'm short and always carried big and right out front. About 4 weeks ago my measurements jumped so dramatically my midwife was concerned and started tests. We found out I do have both Gestational diabetes and polyhydramnios. It's looking like the extra fluid is most likely due to the diabetes as no other cause has shown up on my blood work or ultrasounds.

I'm just curious to see how common this is and how others are handling it?

It doesn't appear to super serious as long as I keep my blood sugar levels under control.

I do already feel as big as a house and I'm only 31 weeks. I'm also showing some preterm labour signs, which is the most likely cause for concern I'm to watch for right now.

My midwife has started my transfer of care to an OB as I've been told to expect an intervention heavy labour and delivery now instead of my homebirth :'( I'm pretty bummed about that. It would have been my first homebirth and only chance to work with Midwifery care.

The bright side is baby boy looks healthy and is very active... and while he is big, he's not off the charts yet!