Tampons?

Okay. Ever since I have gotten my period when I was 11 my mom baught me pads of course depending how much was my blood flow, but she never introduced me to tampons. EVER! Of the time I had my period. I'm pissed about that and never about it until I was in middle school my friend told me she uses that which I though from where my mom told me that girls who are not a Virgin uses tampons so I can't use it and hearing my friend part of her story and experience of using a tampon she says she's a virgin and uses a tampon it doesn't matter you just have to be careful when you use it. I did a lot of research on it since then and talked with my mom about it but she's against me using it that I can lose my virgnity with a tampon. I mean my best friend in Brazil use it and told her about that and tried to explain how to put it on because honestly I hate using pads it feels like I'm wearing a diaper. It's very uncomfortable, it moves a lot. I simply do not like it and I want to start using tampons now, but I don't know how to use one without hurting myself. I know nothing about it and I'm scared.