postpartum advice!

Angel • Lil Sebastian born 9/18/16. I've never been so in love.
Ok I just wanted to share a few things that have been absolute lifesavers after giving birth. So a few things first: I was in labor for 13 hours, pushed for 17 minutes, and tore pretty bad (babys elbow was sticking out, yay lol) & have stitches & pretty bad swelling. Obviously things will vary person to person but I just wanted to share!
Padcicles (witch hazel and aloe) are awesome so far, they cool everything down and are overall pretty awesome. But I like the diapers filled with ice a LOT more, the only downside is they melt and get watery. 
Sitting is a challenge. It makes me feel better to spend some time sitting up straight but it's really hard due to the swelling and stitched. But, if you have a Boppy then sit on that! One of the nurses said to you clench your butt as you sit and then unclench! It really helps! 
Shower at the hospital. I made the mistake of not showering while there and now have to do my first shower without a chair and without help (besides my SO). It's not impossible, it's just a challenge.
Personally peeing doesn't hurt as bad as I expected, but I'm honestly dreading my first BM. Anyway, the little bottles to spray your vagina with are awesome, definitely don't forget to take them home. And using warm water is a life saver. I made the mistake a few times of waiting too long to pee and couldn't fill it up with warm water and man.. Cold water doesn't belong down there..
Peeing before you breastfeed is a must, it'll help you pee often (you can't wait until it feels like you have to pee, you just have to do it) and it helps your uterus contract down without a full bladder in the way.
(Speaking of uteruses... The Drs have to check it every time they check you (I didn't know that) so.. They shove their hand in and around your tummy. It hurts like hell. But the pain doesn't last and it helps your uterus in the end).
If you want to breastfeed but aren't 100% determined, it will be hard. The nurses are trained to do anything to get you and your baby breastfeeding. My nurse actually made me cry because she was being so harsh. But! With the right nurse, right help, and right info it will be easier. It took a couple hours for me to get used to my baby, but he wanted to feed right away so the nurses were determined. Eventually I got an amazing nurse who was calm and explained things well and he sort of latched! By the time the lactation consultant was in, she was so gentle and helpful, and bam! Baby latched and fed before the 24 hour mark. The point is: Feeding is still hard and new, but don't give up just yet, it's not you or babys fault if it isn't working, there may be a third factor making it harder for you like a harsh nurse or just being overwhelmed in general. Also remember that formula feeding isn't bad and a fed baby is a happy baby!
Personally I fucked up already and let my baby latch improperly to help him sleep, and now my nipples are basically useless for a little. (Thankfully I have a pump to help with that?). Anyway. Nipple balm awesome. And aloe as well. 
Let the nurses take your baby to the nursery at least once. Unless you're an expert at this, the few hours (really two or three at most) of being able to sleep is really a life saver after giving birth. I didn't want to let my baby go, but I couldn't get up to help the baby much due to my stitches and my SO was exhausted as well so we finally said yes to the nursery and those two hours were amazing. And having baby back to feed and snuggle after getting a decent nap knowing that baby was safe and being watched was heaven. 
Get up out of bed. I know most of you probably know this already but I was so worn and exhausted and in pain that I stayed in bed so long. Getting up to use the bathroom was a serious struggle. But once I got up and decided to walk a little bit, sit up , my entire body felt better. Remember to relax of course, but 100% resting isn't really restful. It hurt like hell in my vagina and in my tummy but after a couple minutes everything felt better.
You will most likely have contractions after, especially while breastfeeding. Idk how many people know this (probably tons) but I was never told. Yeah I knew my uterus would shrink down and it wouldn't be comfortable. But I didn't know that I would experience semi intense contractions and cramping. The medicines they gave me were a life saver.
Take home/ask for the bed pads they lay on the bed for bleeding! I asked and they gave me a bunch and it's honestly been so much easier not having to worry about bleeding on my bed. Also adult diapers would probably be awesome, I just haven't grabbed any yet.
Soothing scented baby lotion! I don't use it on him, I'll put a tiny bit on my hands and chest (my SO will use it on his chest and face as well) and baby can still smell us but also gets the calming lotion scent! It's been really helpful so far I think. 
*update*
I packed my PP bag really early, and it was super useful. I brought everything I could possibly need. The only thing I wish I had brought was baby blankets. The hospital (I went to Kiaser) has a photographer that goes and takes photos and unfortunately we didn't have any of his blankets. She used the white sheet and the pictures are still gorgeous, it just would have been nice to have one of his own cute blankies.
----
I'll add to this as I think of things, also any other moms with advice feel free to leave comments & stuff. Obviously these are my opinions and they will vary from person to person!