getting a dog?

⭐️MerFerret⭐️ • 👼🏼👼🏼👼🏼 • Beagle mama • Lupus & Fibro • 🏳️‍🌈 bi
My husband and I were thinking of getting a dog. We've been having major baby fever, but we're moving into a small apartment that allows dogs! We figured that would be a good step to having a child to have a more demanding fur baby. I'm currently unemployed, and looking for a part time/full time position (we would wait until I find some work to get a dog... or maybe if we could afford it, it would be helpful for some early on training)
My husband and I would likely not keep exactly the same schedules (so someone should be there for a morning and evening walk, plus we have a dog loving friend that is a student and would love to come by for a walk at noon time (in fact she told us that she'd be happy to take on mid-day walks if any of our friend group got dogs because she misses having one)
We were thinking of getting a corgi. I've never gotten bred dog before, im so used to shelter dogs, but our area must be amazing at rehoming/adoption because the last several months we've been looking and there's hardly any dogs. And the dogs that are there are all big outdoor dogs. Like farm dogs that couldn't live in an apartment.
Any advice on what dog to pick? My husband abhors most small dogs, and a medium dog is fine. We go on a lot of walks. I've been looking all over the Internet for dogs that do well in apartments or that can adapt to apartment living. We'd also have a small patio that we could make one of those mini yard "potty pads". We also have a park with a large grassy area that (just a couple blocks down), so if there's a higher energy dog we can run them.
My husbands favorite is a beagle, and that was also on the list of good adaptable dogs for apartments.