Sleep Help All Around: Naps and Nights

Michelle

Hi Ladies!

Having some issues with my 6 month olds sleep and hoping you can provide some advice!

He doesn’t sleep well all around, never has.  He wakes every 2-3 hours at night to nurse, and during the day his naps are all over the place.  I worry that he’s not getting the sleep he needs (I know I’m not).

Currently he’s getting into a habit of taking one long nap in the middle of the day and then sleeping in the car on the way home from daycare.  Yesterday, for example, he woke up at 7:20am and went down for his first nap at 10:30am and slept for 2.75 hours.  He refused his second nap and then fell asleep in the car around 5:30pm.  We had to wake him up around 6:30pm so he would be tired enough to go to bed between 8-8:30pm.

I know his wake time shouldn’t be any longer than 2.5 hours and that he should be taking 2-3 naps per day (totaling 3 hours), and that he should be able to sleep longer stretches at night, but it’s not happening. Ugh.

If he takes one long nap that totals how long he should be napping is that sufficient or should I try to space out the naps?

Notes:

-       Bed time routine: Quiet play, bath (not every night), change into jammies and diaper change, nurse, story time, put down awake between 8-8:30pm.  He falls asleep within 5 minutes.

-       He’s breastfed and takes bottles every 2 hours at daycare.

-       Just started solids, only oatmeal once a day or every other day

-       We room share and he sleeps in an arms-reach co-sleeper next to my bed

Thanks in advance for your help/support!