Want to hop in?

Join our Community
Download Glow

Ivf questions.

Today I was told that we have no other options but to do ivf. So my question is, does anyone have insurance that helps cover it? How do you afford it if not? If your insurance does help, what state do you live in? I'm at a complete lose of how to move forward. Advise please.
Do
Posted at Feb 09, 2017 • 22 responses

Glow Pages: Recommendations for Women, by Women

Find fertility products, clinics, doctors

Ke
Posted at Feb 11, 2017
My insurance covered nothing. I signed up for a chase freedom card with 0% interest for 15 months- which the hubby and I felt was the best option for us. Our clinic does offer a shared risk plan for one rate ( minus medications) that we signed up for as well- basically if it doesn't work we get 1/2 our money back ( minus medications)- it was a VERY hard decision to make to spend that kind of money on a chance but I felt we just had to do it- after receiving our first results: BFN- this week has been a little stressful second guessing what we got ourselves into financially! 
Ke:  im so sorry Donna! Can a different diet/ supplements help?
Do:  we have due to his results of his semen analysis. he has had three and every time they keep coming back lower and lower. well now he doesn't have any live ones
Ke:  Such*
Ke
Posted at Feb 18, 2017
I live in Florida and am a public school teacher. We have to do IVF and of course my insurance does not cover a single penny. Luckily they have package plans and programs that help as well as just good old fashioned saving money!
Ru
Posted at Feb 11, 2017
My husband and I took out a personal loan and saved for the remaining costs. Our insurance in Colorado doesn't cover fertility at all. We also applied for a discount on our medications. We did have to find a pharmacy that accepts the plan, but there are some out there if you do your research. Compassionate Care almost always gives 25% off for 3 types of medications. First Steps offered us 5%, however we called and asked them to match our other offer and they were able to. The process to apply only took a few minutes. Definitely research what pharmacies accept discount programs. The pharmacy that accepts our plan doesn't carry two of the meds we were prescribed, but I asked my doctor if they could be switched out for the ones that are covered, which worked out. Good luck!! If you want the links, let me know! 
Ru:  Hi Donna. Our clinic recommended it to help with medications. I'm not sure where you are in Colorado, or which clinic, but he compassionate care is something you can apply for no matter where you are going for treatment. There are only certain pharmacies that accept it, and it won't cover all meds,
Ve:  I was able to get 50% from Compassionate Care and
Ru:  Yes! I believe if you look up Serono Compassionate Care, we were able to get 25% based on our income. I would try that and First Steps. We only got 5% with them, but when I asked them if they could match, they did.
Kr
Posted at Feb 15, 2017
My insurance didn't cover a dime. My husband and I both picked up a second job and saved every bit of it. It took an entire year and then we still had to get a $6000 dollar loan at our local bank. It's sucks but that's how we made it. It's honestly not fair 
Da
Posted at Feb 15, 2017
I live in MA and my insurance is covering everything (after my $1000 deductible) including ICIS and my medication. The only thing they don't cover is PGS/PGD testing. 
Wa
Posted at Feb 13, 2017
I see a fertility doctor as well. I live in Virginia and have Aetna PPO as primary and Anthem BCBS as secondary and the most we pay out of pocket is $300 which is for a procedure that neither insurances covers. I hope everything works in your favor. It's a lot as women but you must be strong through it all.
Wa:  Anthem is $70 a month and Aetna since it's through my employer and a family plan it's $218 a month. My Aetna deductible is so high though, it's $11,000 after it's met Aetna covers everything 100%. Anthem though is a lot cheaper since I use it just for me with a $200 deductible. With anthem I have a copay as far as office visit but they cover everything after that
Do:  how much do you pay for your insurance each month?
Gr
Posted at Feb 13, 2017
Ours covers 100%. PGS is not covered though. We live in Illinois.
Ji
Posted at Feb 12, 2017
My insurance covers 75% but we still owed A LOT out of pocket. Husband and I decided to take our a personal loan to pay for everything else. It is definitely expensive but you have to decide if it's worth it. There are ways to save in meds and such. You just have to shop around. Good luck!!

Want to comment?