Fiancé got arrested!

Hi everyone, I just want to share a story and get your thoughts and opinions on what's happened, there's not a proper question, just want to see what people think.
I've previously posted about my abusive partner. Recently he has got more abusive and more jealous. Basically, a number of things happened and he got taken into custody and released and now I've escaped his clutches and everyone knows the monster he is. In the past he's isolated me from my friends and family, strangled me, accused me of cheating with no evidence (btw, I've never cheated and I never would), smashed my stuff up, smashed the room up, the lot. But when he's amazing, he can be amazing. I'm staying with family at the moment whilst I pull myself back together, so I'm safe, however, our landlord said he's not allowed back to the apartment and I am, due to the nature of the incident.
He's been asking me if I would forgive him, and obviously I want to hear his side of the story but I'm all over the place. He's even asked if I'd ever wear the engagement ring again and he doesn't want to lose me. He's basically apologised and begged for forgiveness. For the first time in a long time, I feel strong without him and I'm surprised I'm not more sad at what's happened and that I have to break up with him, is that weird? He wants to see me and because I love him I don't want to break his heart and tell him I don't want to be with him anymore. This has taken such a long time, is it wrong that I feel guilty for not wanting to be with an abuser anymore? I know it's going to be really hard and I haven't felt the worst of it yet.  I feel like he thinks we're going to be fine again. He seems genuinely heartbroken about what he's done and said he'll get anger management. What was your experience like? Has anyone got any advice?
Has anyone ever had an abuser that's acted like this?
(Sorry I couldn't go into more details cos of court proceedings)