Unusual period symptoms.. Is it just me??

Mary • 36 y/o due 🌈Feb-07-2021 🌈 5 years TTC & 1 MC in 2018.
My period started today, but all day YESTERDAY i was experiencing some really strange pains down there. In the past, I've had a range of painful symptoms (including dull cramping, severe gas pain & constipation, tender breasts, & back pain), but this time the pain was different. The pain was... external? The whole labia majora (and towards the end of the day, the clitoris too) was tender & sore, as if it had been overstimulated to the point of just wanting to be LEFT ALONE. The only thing is, my husband & I haven't been "up to anything" in a few weeks, honestly. (& Nor have I been engaged in any sexytime on my own).. is this normal for some people, because I found it completely bizarre & most unpleasant. (I can't even tell how to log this in the <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glow.android">Glow app</a>... "Vaginal pain"? "Pelvic pain"? I really feel like this wouldn't be considered as either of those..) I assume this is just one of those strange things the body does, but I've never heard it mentioned & I've certainly never had it happen to me! Input please??