brutal honesty needed! let me know if I'm in the wrong

Deedee • 23. Future counselor. Instagram & Twitter: @deedeebettis
Okay so I was talking to this guy for a few months. He had told me that he liked me and he wanted to see how things go. I was totally on board with that. So a few weeks after our first few dates, he started going MIA. He used to text me everyday and then that changed to every other day. Eventually I would only hear from him once a week. He assured me constantly that he liked me and we were gonna be together or whatever. I was irritated with him always flaking on me so I was getting close to ending things with him. Right when I was going to, his mom passed away. I felt terrible and I wanted to be there for him. I offered my services in any way possible and even got him a gift. I texted him the day after the funeral just to check on him and see how he was doing. He never replied so I just assumed he was busy or just didn't want to talk to anyone. A few hours later, he posted a message online basically saying that he wanted someone to talk to. I was hurt and pissed off that he was ignoring me because he wanted to talk to someone else. I told him that I would still be there for him as a friend, but I didn't want to be led on anymore. I feel bad because of the timing but I felt like I needed to do it. Am I in the wrong? Should I have stuck around?