DOOMS DAY: My boyfriend fought my family

So the day has come.... my boyfriend got into an argument with my family while I wasn't home and apparently sh*t got real. From what I understand he got an attitude and they went in on him, unrightfully so. After hearing from both sides of the story and an unbiased bystander, my boyfriend got slick after being backed into a confrontational corner and my family went above and beyond to embarrass him and hurt him. Obviously this is my family, but my boyfriend has been my own family(one that we made). So while I'm on my boyfriends side, I'm also impartial. It just hurts that they did this to him, and he will never forgive them just because of the sheer disrespect they threw in his face. I'm offended FOR him and embarrassed about what they said/ did. I'm really upset with my family but of course don't want it to look like he's driving a wedge between us. 
 Has your SO fought with your family before, or vice versa? What happened, happened. I just want to relate to someone out there, and maybe some words of advice.