mental health awareness 💙

Sophie
I know this is a long post and a tad or a ramble but please read!
So as most of you know this week is mental health awareness week - I used to self harm quite badly up until about 1 year ago, and nobody ever knew! I managed to keep it hidden for 2 years, the only time somebody noticed is when I was on holiday with my mum and she asked what the marks on my leg were and I brushed them off saying oohhh Im not sure - she never asked again. I'm not angry at that and I am very happy now! I have a great boyfriend (the only person who is aware of my self harm past) but I think the best thing is that i never consider my self as 'scarred' - yes occasionally I look at my leg and think look what you did - but I have no shame.
However that lead me to my point, I've seen lots of self harm posts this week and I admire the people brave enough to flaunt their scars, but I don't think I could ever do that, not because I don't want to! But because as my friends have never known, I don't want to come across as seeking attention! And this is where the awful stigma attatched to mental health kicks in! Even me, somebody who has suffered depression and anxiety is too scared to be noticed or ask for help, I went years pretending it was okay and that isn't okay! This is why I'm posting here, because I have not friends to judge me or see, but I'm considering telling my mum how I used to suffer, Just to help break down that stigma, a stigma which a lot of sufferers feel too - if anybody else can relate or has a story they wish to share please do!! We are all strong and beautiful 💕💕💕 sorry for the long post!Â