To the people who ruined my self-esteem

Bethany

When you put me in front of a mirror and nitpicked my facial features, you made me afraid of appreciating them. You told me to exercise yet made fun of me for being skinny and I felt like I couldn't win. You said I would always crave a guy's attention, and that implanted a mindset that has yet to leave.

When I walked down the halls, you told me how much I looked like a man. I remember when you showed me "BOOBLESS" on a calculator, thinking it was cute. When you made fun of my crooked teeth, I wondered what other flaws you would make fun of next.

I remember when all you wanted from me was a picture of my naked body. You didn't care about my feelings, only your own selfish desires.

When you told me my outfit doesn't look good and my makeup is too wacky, I feel like my self expression is being hindered.

To all of the people who ruined my self-esteem, screw you. I'm tired of the bull crap. I'm tired of your words lingering in my head. You hurt me at a sensitive and awkward time in my life when I didn't know who I was. I'm tired of feeling worthless. I know logically I have worth, but you sure don't make me feel like I do.

I want to break this cycle. I want this to end.