I'm freaking out. (advice )

My now ex broke up with me on Saturday. We had been together for more than a year. He has depression, it's very frustrating for him and it often comes out as anger. On Sunday he tells over text, that he doesn't want to see anyone else and I respond by saying that it seemed like a manipulative thing to do considering I should be moving on but it makes me feel awful. We talk that night. He cries to me, tell me he can't explain what's going on in his life right know but hates himself for everything. I'm in love with this guy still and I want to be there for him always. He ends the conversation saying that he needs time, a week and a half, and he'll  tell me what he wants and everything. So my point is I don't know what I should do, I want to respect the time frame, but it's not fair to keep me wondering and waiting when I could be moving on. And as much as I want this relationship to work. I'm scared of what's going to happen and the silence. Anyone have advice for me. Thank you   
( background: this is our fourth breakup for similar reasons of anger and depression. I've been through this so many times that I feel like it's not fair to me, the day he broke up with me he was quick to name call, and compare me to past relationships, it was a cycle of ridicule and then apologizing the next day and blaming himself. I do love this guy, giving him chance after chance. Always forgiving the anger, drinking, quick breakups and everything else. But when is it to much) 
The week is nothing for me, id wait longer, it's the deviation that I'm going to feel if he tells me it's over again. Because it's gotten my hopes up and I don't want to loss who I consider a best friend.