Warning: Bad cramps may be a sign!

Tosh

Two days ago I started experiencing moderate to severe cramps. They would come in waves and last for 15-60 seconds, relax, then start again. The pain was enough sometimes to leave me light headed to the point I thought I would faint from the pain. But the cramps would stop, sometimes for hours. I figured it was stretching pains (didn't feel like round ligament pains). This is my second pregnancy so I figured maybe my stomach was stretching more quickly.

This morning I had the contraction like cramps immediately upon waking. After an hour they settled but in the early afternoon they returned with a vengeance while I was at work. It hurt so bad that I knew something was wrong. I went to the ER certain I was having a miscarriage at 8 weeks.

The ER did an ultrasound and tons of blood work. My white blood cell count was high and they determined I had a bladder infection!

Apparently bladder infections in pregnancy are very common but may have different symptoms than you're used to. I didn't have pain or difficulty peeing so it didn't cross my mind. Nor have I been sexually active for awhile (bc who thinks about that with morning sickness all day long), but due to increased discharge and hormonal changes, we're higher risk.

Bladder infections while pregnant can cause severe cramps or even preterm labor. I wanted to share this in case others are experiencing similar symptoms. Worrying about a miscarriage is a horrible feeling, so if you have bad cramps/contractions and/or have a feeling something isn't right, follow your intuition and get checked out.