What led Diane Schuler to be so reckless?

🐦

If you haven't watched the documentary "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane", I highly recommend it.

There is a controversy over the unsolved mystery of what caused Diane Schuler to act in such a careless manner that she endangered and ultimately took the lives of not only her children, but her brother's children as well.

If you haven't heard of the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash, basically it was a head on collision that killed 8 people, including Diane and 4 children. Diane was driving in the wrong direction on the highway for 1.7 miles and collided head on with another SUV. Diane was bringing the kids home from an weekend camping trip. Her husband was also on the trip but came home in a separate vehicle.

Toxicology tests revealed that Diane was intoxicated with both alcohol (about 10 drinks) and marijuana. There was a bottle of vodka found in her car.

Now, here's where the controversy comes in. Diane's husband vehemently denies that she drank to excess. What's interesting to me is that he kept changing his story. First he said they were not drinking that weekend at the campsite, then later admitted they were.

Most people who knew her, including her sister in law who is the mother of three of the deceased kids, say that they never saw her in a drunken state and she wouldn't have more than one drink. She stopped at a gas station and a McDonald's and none of the employees believe she was intoxicated. She is seen on surveillance at the gas station walking normally into the store.

Her husband swears that a medical event must have caused her toxicology reports to inaccurately show alcohol use, and that she must have had a medical emergency which caused her to endanger the lives of the kids, because she would never do that. Some think it was a murder suicide.

The only survivor of the crash, Diane's son, says "mommy's head hurt and she couldn't see."

One of Diane's nieces called her mother from the car and said "there's something wrong with aunt Diane". She hands the phone to Diane, who says "the kids are fine. They're just playing". Her brother tells her to stay put and he was coming to get her. Instead, she leaves her phone on the side of the highway and gets on the exit ramp going the wrong way.

What are your thoughts? Was she drunk and high in the middle of the day on a Sunday while driving her kids home? Or is there another explanation? I'll put my opinion in the comments.