Super Long Period 😩😩😩

So, I stopped taking my birth control pills last September. I didn't have a real period for several months and then I had a period that lasted for about 3 weeks. After that, I didn't have another period for close to two months. In mid June, I started again and I am still bleeding. Some days I just barely bleed and others it's like a typical period flow. I have very little cramping and when I do cramp it isn't bad at all. My husband and I are wanting to try for a baby, but all of this is really hindering our sex life. There are occasions where it seems the bleeding has ended, but when we have sex it just starts right back up. I spoke to my doctor and she recommend that I try taking Vitex and some vitamins for a few months. I have been taking the Vitex and vitamins for about 5 weeks and haven't noticed much of a change. If anything, I think the flow has just gotten to where it is a little heavier more consistently. I'm super frustrated. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?? If so, what was causing it?? My doctor didn't seem too concerned since I am not having bad cramps or any other symptoms. She just said it is common for hormones to be out of whack for a while after coming off birth control and she told me to call back in a few months. Just looking for some idea of why this is happening.