"Wasting" Money

Ne

Note: I put wasting in quotes because I understand that people's priorities and interests vary.

My in-laws are very religious and by the time I hit my first wedding anniversary I'd already attended more religious events than in my entire life combined. (I got married the year I turned 26 so that's saying a lot. 😲)

I'm not opposed to being religious, but I do feel that some of the money they direct towards temple donations is better spent elsewhere.

For example, my parents send money to an orphanage in our home country for every birthday/anniversary/etc. to provide special meals for the kids. We've also sponsored the purchase of sewing machines and classes for the older children who have said they want to make sewing a career.

My in-laws, on the other hand, gave $10K that year to a temple for renovations.

Yes, it's their money (mostly) so they can do whatever with it...but today my MIL took my husband to an astrologer to buy a special religious seed that would be worn on a chain around his neck. The astrologer told my husband he's in for a rough two years so he needs a more rare version of the seed, which comes with a bill of $1,800 (chain not included). His mom insisted it's worth it and pressured him to order it. 😟

I don't think my husband ordered it - I don't know for sure because I was furious when he began the story and had to leave the room so I didn't spew words I can't take back (his whole family was there at the time). 😤

Am I being unreasonable? I don't interfere with their strong religious beliefs but I'm pissed because I don't believe in the "vibrations" of this seed and definitely do not agree with spending $1,800 - especially not when we just had a baby and I'm putting all my extra cash aside for his future. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️