Discipline vs humiliation

When I was 15 my parents found out I had sex for the first time, and still years later I'm very conscious of what happened. Before this my parents had never given me any guidance on the subject whatsoever, so I was shocked by how they handled this to say the least. My mother waited three days to talk to me about it, not knowing that my sister had already told me that they knew. After school one day she took my to a restaurant for dinner. I knew what we would be talking about already but she was so out of character, usually very supportive and loving. Essentially, without going in to details, she publicly humiliated me and said things to me that I struggle to forget. As for my father, he couldn't talk to me for several months.

In the subsequent months I fell into a depression for two years that I didn't fully understand and I no longer trusted my parents to ask for help.

Today I'm feeling much better and proud that I could get myself out of that bad situation without any help. I don't like to hold my parents accountable and I try not to let my past experiences affect my relationship with them. But I still don't feel as though I can trust them with personal details such as my physical and mental health or anything among that degree of intimacy. Recently I've also been having recurring nightmares about it, which is the reason for this post.

I would just really like to understand their perspective and know if they think they did the right thing. I think I would also like some closure and just give them some insight into how they have affected me now as an young adult.