Considering a break

I need help :(

My boyfriend and I are in our 4th year together. I love him more than anything in the world (besides my mama of course), and feel so sad about this.

He's in a frat and told me the other day that he is afraid something bad could happen (like cheating) and he doesn't want to put me through this simply based on the amount of alcohol that goes into those ridiculous groups. He doesn't want to break up and said he wants to marry me and have babies together, but wishes we met even a year into the future because he feels like it's just such a bad time to be in a relationship (college).

He hasn't ever been with anybody else and I think that may be part of it.

Essentially his mom told him that since we've been together since we were 15, she doesn't want us getting married unless we took a break or broke up. I understand where she's coming from but I think it is influencing him a lot.

Kyle is more than my best friend like I don't even know how to describe what he is to me, and he wants to stay close if we do breakup... it would be too painful I think, we broke up once when we were in high school a few years ago and we tried staying close friends and just ended up back together.

My question is this- is a break a bad idea?

What about breaking up?

How do I cope with losing my best friend if we do breakup? I feel so lost. He's the only person I want to ask advice about this from... I just don't want to lose him :(