I THINK HE IS THE ONE! But..

Him and I broke up five months ago. We were together for a year and a half. During that time we only really had one or two big fights but other than that it was just friendly bickering. We were comfortable together, trusted each other, travels across the world together everything seemed so perfect until one night he got drunk and broke up with me. He didn’t remember doing it but went through with it anyways. I don’t have a straight answer on why he ended things but it’s more of on the lines of “I need to work on myself” “I need to learn what love is first before continuing to love you”. I can’t be friends with him because we never started off as friends. I miss him dearly and he’s so stubborn. I want him back but I know that I was starting to become to clingy and dependent on him. What should I do? Any advice? Is there any hope? (P.s he tells some fri da he just wants to be friends and that he doesn’t want any relationship with anyone right now but can’t tell the future, but he never has told me this)