Saving money, are men capable?!

My partner and I moved to a new area 5 weeks ago and neither of us have found jobs yet, I’m spending my savings on our living and grew up counting pennies at the end of each month so I’m used to being skint but he went to private school and his parents are happily married and have good jobs so he doesn’t seem to understand the idea of not just throwing money away. He’s wanting to spend money on tv subscriptions and things that look pretty in the house and I know he’s being more careful with money than he has ever before but I’m still stressing out because money is going so quickly and with Christmas coming up and we’ve only got 700 pounds left and I’m panicking. He thinks I’m being over dramatic and moody, how do I show him how serious it is that we are more careful. I don’t want to be struggling for food in a months time because all our Niebuhr has gone on luxuries and direct debits. I know he’s trying but I don’t think he realises that once it’s all gone that’s it we have nothing we’ve already been given so much money by family i don’t know what to do. We’re arguing so much because I’m so serious all the time