What are we?

Emma

So this is a long story. There is this guy I’ve known for a few years now. We met online towards the end of both of our freshman year in high school, and for whatever reason we just hit it off really well and became best friends. Then I was having a bad day and he was joking around and not catching on hat I was being serious so I stopped talking to him (I was going through some stuff so that wasn’t dramatic. I just didn’t respond and he didn’t try to get me to say anything again) Skip ahead to like November of our sophomore year and I get a text from him out of the blue. He ends up basically telling me that he thinks I’m really pretty or something like that and that he has a crush on me. This shocked me for a couple reasons. First of all, when we talked all the time he would come to me about girl problems. Second of all, I had absolutely no confidence so I didn’t believe it was possible. Despite that, we kept talking as friends and quickly became best friends again. Soon we were talking everyday. He was helping me learn to be happy again without even knowing it. Around March of that same year he confessed to me that he loves me. At first I didn’t think he was really serious or even if he was I just brushed it off as like teenage love that isn’t real. We were only 15. I wasn’t really sure if or what I felt towards him because well I was 15 and had basically no friends to even talk to about it, so we just remained friends. Then around May he asks me one day if I know what it means to him to be in love. I was intrigued to hear his response, and I was amazed at how much it matches my views. That was the moment I realized I fell for him. I still didn’t really want to be more than friends just because of the distance, but about a month later he gets me to confess my feelings. We have had our ups and downs, but we are still together like 2 1/2 years later. We are exclusive, but not like officially dating since we’ll we haven’t actually been on a date yet. He lives in Mississippi and I live in Michigan. He doesn’t want to ask me to officially be his until we get to see each other in person. We still text all the time and I talk to him on the phone and/or video chat almost every day. He’s my best friend and my one true love, but I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to call him at this point. If I want to make things as simple as possible without the details I refer to him as my boyfriend (I know he doesn’t have any problems with that) but I also just feel weird about that since he hasn’t really asked me yet. What would you consider our label to be?