Had my membrane sweep today

Lauren • 🎀 Brynn Elise 12/30/17 🎀 Harper Grace due 10/17/20

For those of you who are contemplating a membrane sweep or are curious to hear others’ experience....

The one friend who has had one said hers was horrific and hurt really bad...it caught her off guard because she anticipated it wouldn’t hurt at all. She swore up and down that it was terrible and she wanted to give me a fair warning as a friend.

Well, I had mine today and it was super tolerable. Perhaps my cervix was softer than my girlfriend’s, or my doctor was gentler, but whatever the reason, it wasn’t bad. I’ve had cervical biopsies and scrapings in the past which could contribute to my higher pain tolerance, but I was pleasantly surprised how short the procedure was and how it felt.

My doctor said there’s no need to overdue it; once the membranes are disrupted, there’s no need to keep going. Bottom line based on my experience, if you have a good doctor who you trust, it really helps. If it was too painful I know she would have eased up or given me a break. I just breathed through it and it was fine. It was not pleasant, but not enough for me to cringe and stop.

My due date is this Friday. Fingers crossed baby girl arrives on time! I’m also continuing my acupuncture treatments so that should help as well.

Good luck, mamas!