I need advice on how to respond to my husband...

my husband's biggest complaint in our relationship is that I never rely on him and that I am too independent and do everything by myself. but I feel like every time I do ask him do something it gets messed up, though it's never intentional, but something inevitably happens. for instance this morning I had to take one child to school extra early and I was a volunteer to drive on a field trip, so he was supposed to get the kids up & take the other children to school at the appropriate time. When I get to the school I found out that they had enough drivers so I went ahead and came home to find that my husband had slept through all four of his alarms, yes he sets 4-6 daily, and all the kids were still in bed sound asleep as well as himself. This is 20-30 minutes past their normal wake up time. of course I rushed but I got everybody out of bed and out of the door just in the nick of time for school. I didn't say a word about it and didn't act angry upset and just got everybody together and went on my way. A few hours into the morning he sends me a text message stating "Hey I really am sorry about this morning. I feel like I let you down because I didn't have everyone up when you got back". I'm looking only for some positive advice here and not cut Downs, but what I'm looking for is some advice on how to respond to him without making a big deal out of it but also acknowledging his text Etc. It does make me want to ask him even less than I already do to do things because just 3 days ago he was also supposed to pick up our son from Boy Scouts, which he went and did that but... then he text me 20 minutes after he was supposed to pick up my son and says do you have our son? I said no you said you would get him but I can leave my meeting and get him if I need to... it turned out he was there to pick him up at the right time but didn't bother to go inside to get our son from scouts and just sat out in the parking lot expect him to come out unaccompanied even though he's gone with me to pick them up from scouts many times before and I have told him that they cannot come out on their own because for safety reasons they insure a parent is the one with the child. Anyway I just don't want to make an issue out of it and just want to respond to him nicely and Let It Go. Is responding with " things happen" appropriate or is that too short do I need to be saying something else?