Herpes question

I have a question because honestly I’m quite oblivious when it comes to this. I don’t at all have a negative outlook on this question or anything of the sort I’m just curious.. about 10 years ago I went with my mom to the doctor for what she thought was a boil. The doctor made me leave the room and my mom ended up coming out crying. She told me in the car ride home she was diagnosed with herpes. Once again I’m not at all saying anything at all is wrong with that because I’m gonna be straight up here shit happens. Hell at this point In life people are harder and harder to trust. Well here’s my question... she said when she was a teenager (15/16) that she was raped and that’s when she got it. But that was also her very first breakout (30+ years later). Is this possible for that to be true? None of my siblings or I were born with it and we were vagina births. My father also doesn’t have it. They haven’t been sexually active since 2000 (we’re a very open family for the most part). I know for a fact 2 people she had an affair with while I was pregnant with my 9 1/2 year old son. 1 of which was a drug addict and the other was a drunk. can someone please shed some light for me...