Twins and Clomid and Early Positives and HCG

Jennifer • Mother to 2, Wife of 10 years, Pharmacist and sheep farmer

I got my BFP 8DPO on first cycle of Clomid. I used mucinex, legs in the air, and BD’d twice daily during fertile window. BFP was faint enough that I needed to post it for second opinions but not so faint that there were people who felt it was a BFN. It has steadily gotten darker to full blown BFP. I had HCG level drawn at 3w3d and it was 40. I had HCG level drawn again at 3w5d and it was 135 but they didn’t tell me that exact number for the second draw. They just said it was increasing when they called me with results. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday which will be at only 5 weeks pregnant. I never had an ultrasound that early with my first baby. I questioned receptionist on early date and she agreed it was indeed earlier than most are scheduled but was what the Dr. wanted. Naturally, I am thinking, “Oh, no. Is something wrong?!” I had an appt with Dr today and he said,”Well, your HCG more than tripled in 2 days - you went from 40 to 135 (first time I hear that number). We want to get this ultrasound done so we can make sure there’s only one baby in there. You remember that I warned you about the possibility of twinning with Clomid!” Ahhh! 😳 Eek! I know that you can have numbers like that and still have one little bundle of joy, but does anybody have any info or ideas from their experiences or knowledge base? Also, I know that you can have higher numbers and not have twins but I think he was more interested in the fact that it tripled than the actually number. Does this really sound like a possible “2’fer?” Obviously, we are cautious about getting too excited for the idea of 2 and are thrilled to be pregnant at all. Thanks in advance for your replies and BABY DUST (all caps, so you know I mean business lol) to those TTC.