13 week scan and sequential screen

Squealy

So, I went to the dr today and had my 13 week scan which I was also supposed to have blood work for the sequential screening but that came to a halt.

The tech left the room to get the doctor so he could come talk to me. Instead, I went into his office. He said that the back of the baby’s neck was measuring at 3.3mm and they like to see it at 2-3mm. He said that when it measures that thick, it sometimes can indicate Down syndrome and/or heart defects and recommended me to meet with genetics counselors for further testing. He wants me to have a fetal echocardiogram and possibly an amniocentesis. I was planning on telling my daughter that I was pregnant today after the ultrasound because since my son passed away, she’s been praying to become a big sister again. I know this isn’t a definite diagnosis and that things can be fine and normal, but I definitely was not expecting that news.

Other than that, everything was measuring appropriately and on time within my dates. Baby had a heart rate of 141.

It just kills me because of course in the back of my mind, I wonder if I’ve done something wrong or if I could have done something to prevent it. I’m praying that it was just a glitch with the scan and everything turns out okay.