My friend says I’m American because ....

I want to see what people think of this and i want to know what’s right.

I am want to start by saying I am Mexican and I say I am “Mexican” because my parents are Mexicans and they were born in Mexico. My first language is Spanish. I’ve always been proud to say im Mexican but then today my friend says “it’s your day” (Mother’s Day in the USA) us Mexicans celebrate Mother’s Day on May 10 which every year of my life have celebrated Mother’s Day. My family doesn’t celebrate it when it’s mother’s day for Americans if you get what I mean. Moving forward I told my friend my day was on May 10, I’m Mexican then he goes and says no you’re Mexican-American only because I was born in the US but raised my whole life with Mexican parents and lived in Mexico when I was little and have as an adult. I prefer Mexico more then the US. I’ve been to school here in the US my whole life but on top of that I still will speak Spanish first and even when I’m out in public I prefer Spanish. I feel like I am more confident. Because my english sounds like Salma Hayek to give you an example lol to start I don’t look Mexican everyone confuses me for being some other ethnicity. I’m pale complected, black long straight hair that I dye but my natural hair is very light brown, my eyes are hazel and I’m very tall. Everyone looks different but just speaking about me in general. Moving forward my friend looks like he’s definitely Mexican if someone understands what I mean and I’ll say something in Spanish only some will understand.. mi amigo tiene el nopal pintado en toda su cara, su piel morena ósea es de puebla. Yo y mi familia somos de jalisco, ojos de color pelo guero, piel blanca. So those who read and know, know the deal and understand me better now. The point is that I don’t like when people say no you’re american because you were born here or Mexican-American when I feel like I’m just Mexican because my parents are and born in mexico. Do you think I am wrong or my friend is right? I just want to know. And I won’t get mad if my friend is right but I just wanted to share this and see if anyone ever goes through this.