Is losing my virginity really a big deal?

All my life I've been told to "save yourself for that someone that is special for you", or "If you lose your virginity, people will think badly about you."

A few months ago, I decided to have my first time with my boyfriend (now ex). We were both alright with what we were doing and everything was fine back then.

Days later, I went to my mother and told her about what I did. She was really upset and angered by it, and proceeded to tell me to keep it a secret or others would think badly of me (and of her).

I'm underage, 16 to be exact. All my life, my mother controlled and wanted everything in my life to be exactly as she planned to be.

I understand that mothers would do anything for the good of their children, but I wanted to do something about myself that only I could take responsibility for. In reality, I barely regret what we did. It wasn't "the best" but it was nice.

My mother now makes comments in front of her friends, and mines, indirectly referencing my past actions. Things like "If she's wearing that, of course she's willing to open herself to others. It's her decision after all."

I often hear my mother's friends saying that your first time MUST be special, that boys will always go for the girls who are "pure", that once you lose it there is no going back.

They tell me you have to be in love with that guy to have your first time and that that is something that no girl should ever question.

But as I said before, is it really THAT important?