Breaking down the walls

I have been in the happiest relationship for a little over a year now with the most amazing person. The problem is communication... we have a short/long distance relationship where he lives an hour away (I know it’s not that far but due to our busy schedules we barely see each other at times).

He hasn’t had the greatest childhood and before me he would isolate himself from relationships occasionally having hook ups with fwb and whatnot. I have no problem with his past and he has gone far and beyond to prove that his player days are over.

Communication with him is so difficult, he’s defensive at times. He tries to stay calm and listen but emotions get the best of him and it’s starting to become draining. My patience with his little episodes are running its course. Therapy hasn’t worked with his communication and sometimes I’ll find out he’s dealing with really horrible personal problems alone. How can I get him to open up? He expressed he wants to talk but he can’t speak and he gets frustrated. He’s the type to try to forget what has hurt him and run from his feeling. I feel so bad. Any advice?