Husbands Career Choice

My husband has been seriously thinking about becoming a truck driver. As much as I’d like to be all in I’m not. I’m not telling him he can’t but I’m sharing my honest opinion. I told him I don’t want a family if he’s gonna he on the road all the time & he got mad. I don’t want my child to feel like they have an absent parent. I know how that feels and I won’t do it to my kid. In addition I don’t want to raise a kid on my own the majority of the time. I didn’t get married to become a single mom. It’s just not the type of family dynamic I want. He’s upset now and says he’s known tons of people who have truck drivers as dads and it worked for their parents. That’s fine but it doesn’t work for me. I’m at a loss because I know he wants a kid but I don’t know if I’m willing to have one with that career choice.

For those of you with experience having a family with someone who is gone most of the time how do you make it work? I want to at least try to keep an open mind about this.

Update: thanks for the help ladies. I think this may be a deal breaker for me if he chooses a job that makes him be gone for long periods of time. I moved to a new city where I know no one for him and it would be very selfish & unfair for him to just ditch me here all alone. I moved with him 300 miles away from my hometown to start a life and a family with him. I’m gonna try to come to a compromise with him but if he won’t try to meet me halfway we’re gonna have a problem.