What does my SO need to be prepared to do at the hospital during labor?

Ch

I think we missed the window to register for the childbirth class offered at our hospital. We're both first time parents but seem to have opposite expectations. I'm scared of all the what-ifs and reading to try and prepare. He basically seems to think he just has to show up lol.

I already know he will bring a calm to the situation that I'll need but I just don't think he realizes what I'll need him to do. He says the nurses will be there to help. I plan on having my mom there to support me as well, but figured I'd ask here. What worked well for you? Did your SO massage you? get you ice chips? was just there and didn't do much? we just kind of bickered about it and I am just scared he's going to disappoint me at that very crucial time. I want to be able to talk about all this ahead of time. Maybe he needs to know he'll be useful? What decisions do we need to make ahead of time? All he's really said is that he doesn't want to cut the umbilical cord. Any advice is appreciated. I know I'm emotional with this pregnancy and chances are everything will go fine, there's just so much that can happen!