Am I rude?

Olivia • 🌱

I live in a two bedroom apartment with my hubby and my toddler. We pay 1600 a month to live here. I live on the middle floor, above a family with three adults, a teenager, and three school aged kids. The whole building is two bedrooms so don’t ask me how they all fit, they have lived here since I moved in over a year ago.

My neighbor lately has been complaining that I am way too noisy at night, that I’m disrespectful with whatever activities I am doing “up there at all hours of the night.”

I work nights (10-6) so on my days off I am awake but I am tiptoeing around, quite literally. I am very conscious that I live above people. I never do laundry or run the dishwash or vacuum past 9pm. I think what bothers them a lot is my late night showers and baths. Am I in the wrong for taking showers/baths at around midnight-2am or are should they suck it up because they chose to live in an apartment below people?

I don’t complain when I can hear the people above me, and it’s not like I’m stomping around or having parties up here. I really do try my best.

It’s getting to the point where management has gotten themselves involved because they keep complaining about us! It’s appalling. I guarantee my upstairs neighbors are noisier than me and I take it as them just living their lives?