My epidural didn’t work! But she came FAST!

Valerie

I’ve heard second babies come quick, but whoa! This was fast!! And thank goodness because my epidural (which I was VERY much looking forward to) didn’t work.

Contractions started at 8am today. Went to work at 9am— but by noon my manager told me to go home. My contractions were 5 min apart. So I went home and by the time my husband got home with my toddler (2:30p) my contractions were about 3 min apart. We got to hospital at 4p and they were 2 min apart. The triage doctor checked me on admission and I was already 5cm dilated!! They put me in a room and broke my water as the anesthesiologist was setting up the epidural. At that point I was 6.5cm.

After the epi, I was still feeling contractions but was told it could take some time. But when they put in my catheter It was so painful & so I knew something was wrong! I was still feeling severe contractions & tremendous tail bone pain. Checked again within the hour and i was 10cm! Go time at 6p!

Now, I’m telling the staff that the epi didn’t work and they told me it’s normal to feel “pressure” but I insisted that I felt everything. When they pulled out the stirrups and I was able to toss my own legs up and scoot down completely on my own volition they finally believed me that the epi didn’t catch! I had complete control & feeling from my pelvis down.

I pushed for 20 excruciating minutes wherein i felt it ALL. Punched my husband, cursed, screamed! I didn’t think I could do it. But i did! The nurses joked that it was a true Friday the 13th delivery with all the fuss I caused 🤷🏻‍♀️

Remi Jolie was born 7lbs 11oz, 21 inches. Happy and healthy