Am I a piece of shit ?

So my uncle committed suicide on Saturday morning . He lives about 5 hours away from Austin Texas . My family is falling apart and they are super heartbroken about my uncles passing . I am in a situation where I can’t go to his funeral because I have so many bills coming up that I can not afford to miss work . I did help my mom buy at least giving her some gas money and I expressed to her that I was very sad about the whole situation but that I couldn’t go . My mom was upset and disappointed but respected my “choice”. My former step dad messaged me on messenger and made me feel like this huge piece of shit for not going to my uncles funeral. I feel horrible that I can’t go but I really do not have a choice . Do you think I’m a piece of shit for not going ? My family doesn’t understand me and they think I’m just being an asshole but that’s not the case at all . I’m just feeling depressed and I feel like my whole family is turning there backs on me and judging me because of my situation.