Car accidents

I learned something yesterday and thought I would share. Yesterday at around 6pm a car slammed into the back of my stopped car. My sunglasses (which fit quite snug) flew off my face and across the car and the rear view mirror followed suit. I am 23 + 1 day pregnant. My fetus likes to sit very low to the point where it is impossible to move the seat belt around it. I know that the seat belt had tightened but there was no whip lash. The other driver and I checked the cars, everyone seemed to be okay, the cars were a little dented and scratched but no biggie, so soon I was on my way home.

As soon as I got home I started to loose it, as you do after a scare. I had a silent cry and chocolate icecream. I was grateful that everything was okay and the fetus was okay. I had no visible seat belt marks. When my husband got home and found out what happened he decided to called the nurse, just in case. The nurse told him he needed to take me into labor and delivery for evaluation! Surprised by this news we decided to go anyway because there was no harm. When we arrive we learned that all pregnant women over 20 weeks with bumps, falls and accidents need to go to labor and delivery.

They hooked me up to some sort of monitor and checked the fetus. All was well. With one hour of observation to go my adrenaline wore off and sure enough I felt some discomfort, the nurse said it was because my uterus was irritated and adrenaline typically stops these things. My uterus eventually “calmed down”. I learned that if I had been several more days along or if the accident had been any harder that the fetus could have been in serious trouble...and I would of needed to stay in hospital for a full 24 hours!

Who knew that something small like this can/could cause problems. So glad everything is ok.