ADHD- I know this may be such a random place to ask this

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 12 years old. Now 26, I’ve taken “adderall,” (generic versions of it) for about 10 years After trying Ritalin, Statera, Concerta, and Vyvanse, for the first 4 years I have of course found it’s the best fit for me. I’m careful to keep it “as needed” so I don’t develop a tolerance or a dependency.

**Disclaimer**

I know this may not be the best place to seek advice or information, but I figure we may have a few doctors, pharmacists, or psychiatrists amongst all the lovely and helpful ladies on Glow!

So for the past 5 years of taking “adderall,” I’ve taken 10mg IR (instant release) x3. 20mg in the morning, 10mg in the afternoon if I feel my ability to focus is fading and still have tasks to focus on or have a longer work shift. Usually I’ll only take it on work days 4-5 times a week and maybe only a single 10mg on my days off if I have something I need to focus on. It’s fairly unusual I have to take that addition 10mg during high focus days but it’s occasional enough my doctor keeps it on my script so I don’t run out early if I have a busy month.

Now before putting me on that extra 10mg in the afternoon, my doctor did have me try 20mg of XR (Extended release,) to combat my midday fade. We eventually opted for the additional 10mg of IR though, as it honestly felt like I hadn’t taken my meds at all that day when I tried the XR.

My pharmacy has randomly switched generic manufacturers several times, (mostly switching between “oval blue pill, stamped B-972,” and “round blue pill, stamped E(?)-111”) but I never felt any difference in effectiveness during these changes.. That is until yesterday..

After running out of my meds and waiting on an available appointment to renew my prescription, I struggled for 3 days at work without my medication. I was finally able to get my prescription from the pharmacy around 2pm yesterday and I took 20mg before heading into work. I was completely unfocused all day. I figured this was an “off day” for my ADHD since I’d gone a few days without it before. I had a pretty major headache late that night, but chalked it up to missing dinner because I was working the night shift. After taking my 20mg this morning, I again, had zero ability to focus on my tasks before and at work, as if I hadn’t taken my medication at all! I lazily decided to check the pills. That’s when I saw these were new, Round blue pill, stamped U27. Trying to research online the differences between my past effective pills, and this new U27, I found that I couldn’t even determine that this pill wasn’t XR, the type that left me feeling that I had not treated my ADHD at all years ago. I’m also AGAIN developing a headache, which are incredibly rare for me (maybe 10 a year??) let alone 2 nights consecutively!

I suppose the information I’m so desperately seeking is, did the pharmacy screw up and administer XR instead of my IR that I’ve gotten for 2 years from this doctor? How could I have such a different reaction just switching to a new generic, when I’ve done so in the past with no issues? The pharmacist I spoke to at my pharmacy suggested upping my dosage as if hadn’t been upped in so long, but damnit I’ve worked hard to not develop a tolerance to my medication so that I can survive without it. Plus, I just had an effective day only 4-5 days prior before the switch??

I’ve been looking online for hours, with no concise answer if U27 is XR or IR, and have seen multiple postings of ADHD adults experiencing similar things, (including the headaches!!) when switched to this particular generic. Any and all information on any of these particular generics or symptoms would be so much appreciated!!

Thank you ❤️❤️❤️

PS, I’m calling the pharmacy again tomorrow, to see if they can tell me if its IR or XR, but I’m afraid they’ll tell me the answer of what I was supposed to get to cover their own butts 😢 I’ll update what they say when I call in the morning.